Monday, September 23, 2019

Enhancement : Installing Open 64 Saver into my C64's


There are a number of C64 power savers out there, I have a couple of really nice units I bought from Heather at Amibay.  However I really liked the idea of having a power save in my C64 so that it didn't matter if I forgot, it would always be protected.

Trawling through the internet I found this on github which is based on Rays design :
https://github.com/SukkoPera/OpenC64Saver

The build was pretty simple, the repository had all of the resources required ( the BOM and Gerbers ) as well as the references to Ray Carlsens images on how to install the Saver internally.
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/c64/SAVER/MOBOs/

 You can see from the LED when it's active ( green ) and not active ( red ).  There is a variable resistor on it so you can get it set correctly.  I found with cased board that the heat caused it to trip at a lower voltage ( as per the Git notes ).  So I trimmed it up just a little bit.




The two mother boards I installed mine on were 250469's and required a trace to be cut.  This was a bit of a harrowing experience, but with a stanley knife, a steady hand and lot of patients I eventually got it cut nicely.  I used a multi meter to ensure the break.

Initially I was at a complete loss as to how I was going to mount it.  Then it struck me that it was small enough to be mounted behind the keyboard very neatly and more importantly I could mount it without worrying about it shorting out anything.  Take note of the NYLON screw and spacers I used, which fitted perfectly.


 When I first plugged it in I got a bit of a fright.  I am so used to plugging in the live power and nothing happening.  This time the relay kicked into life instantly because it sits before the power switch.  Which is totally awesome, as it will kill the power of a bad power supply even before I turn my c64 on.

C64 Off
C64 On










No comments:

Post a Comment