Wednesday, July 28, 2021

MiSTer FPGA : User Serial Connector to C64 IEC - part 2


This is part 2 of my journey, building my own custom board for C64 peripherals for MiSTer.
If you haven't read part 1, you can do so here Part 1

Today my boards from PCBWay arrived, so straight to the workbench to put it together.

The board I had made actually has two functions the IEC bus and a keyboard interface for a C128 keyboard that I use for my MiSTer.

The new board makes a pretty big difference, here are my previous prototypes that I had hanging off my MiSTer.

What I used to have
My original custom IEC bus for my custom C64 core
 

The new IEC Bus for the official core
 

A C128 Keyboard to USB interface
 

What I have now!

IEC on the Left - C128 Keyboard interface on the Right

Giving it a test run before unplugging my MiSTer

The MiSTer stack and my new board looking neat

From the back with the IO port

All plugged in and working

Make your own?

I know my requirements are pretty niche, but if you want one you can get one 
from PCBWay
 
You'll also need these parts:
 

 

Programming the Arduino

I found a great piece of Arduino code for C64 keyboard on the Internet.  
I've hacked it to suit my needs and to drive a C128 Keyboards extra keys.
 
You can get my hacked version of the code from Git Hub.
 
A special note: 
  Once you upload the code it is really hard to re-program the Micro with the keyboard code again.
  Simply upload the blink example code first ( that comes with the Arduino IDE ) THEN reload the 
  keyboard code.
 
 
PCB and Schematics 
 
I have released the board schematics and design here.

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment