Saturday, February 20, 2021

Repair : Burning "Chucky's" DiagROM

After fixing 8 or so C64's I'd gotten a little board with 8 bit repair. So on a whim I bought a very broken Amiga 2000 and Oh my . . . now I'm neck deep in it.

To assist my efforts I'm having to source chips, but the availability of just bits from broken machines is really limited at the moment and I really am not keen to cannibalize working Amigas for this.  So I thought, let's see what "Chucky's" DiagROM does, I've got some spare EEPROMS.

Steps in detail

I've previously backed up and burnt Amiga EEPROM's in previous projects using my GQ-4x4 with the 16 bit ROM adapter. This time let's do it in detail.

DiagROM

    You can get the DiagROM from  Chucky's website here : https://www.diagrom.com/
 
1) Plug your burner in and start the software (don't put any chips or adapters in it just yet).
 

2) Go to "Device" and select "AT27C400".
 
The Software tells you that you will need a) the Adapter and b) to put the chip into the bottom of the 40 pin socket.


 

3)  Go to "File" and then "Open" and open the file "16.bit" from the zip file you downloaded from the website.

4) You can leave all of the settings default and just click on "Write" to burn the image to the chip.  I will also perform a verify as well once complete.
 
 
5) Complete, now you have a DiagROM of your very own.
 
 
The next step from here is to get a serial console going.  So I'll need to get a USB to Serial cable, Null modem cable and a 9pin serial to ( whatever the big d-sub socket is ) converter.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment