Monday, November 11, 2019

C64 : Another Black screen with signal . . . Complete

A few months ago I went out on Ebay looking for more dead c64's.

This time I got two, one looked like a really simple fix with a logic chip the other was a black screen. Fortunately ( or in my case Unfortunately ) I was sent the wrong for the logic chip issue and instead got a working c64 with one key missing, as a bonus the missing key was really easily replaced with one from https://www.retroleum.co.uk/.

The second c64 proved to be another black screen, however unlike the last one I was getting a PAL signal. The first thing I did was pull the SID and tried it in my newly created test board.  The SID was dead and only with the volume turned up to maximum could any sounds be heard, even then one of the voices was static.

Pulling the SID however didn't fix the black screen.

Putting in my trusty 1541 ultimate, I got a really clear normal menu with the Kernel overlay in place.  So I de-soldered the kernel and tested it in my test board.  The Kernel proved to be just fine so I put it back in place.

The next thing I did was de-solder CIA 1.  This also proved to not help as the CIA worked fine and I still had a black screen.

I had previously tried the put the memory chip over another memory chip to look for bad RAM so I tried it again on one of the two RAM chips.  I pushed the pins in so the made a good connection and nothing happened.  After mucking about pushing the RAM onto each of the RAM modules, the C64 sprang back into life.

So at this point in time I am thinking that I need to socket the left most RAM module as there maybe a dodgey solder connection there.

. . . Update . . .

After much playing about I simply can't reproduce the problem at all.  I've put in an ARMSID to replace the broken SID.  I've also put in brand new capacitors and installed a 5V powersaver.

Another unit working.


No comments:

Post a Comment